Hi new here

Tell us a bit about yourself!
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

That's nitrite which I'd expect to be low from the tap as it is quite toxic, nitrate is a fairly harmless compound that your bacteria convert nitrite into. I found it harder to get a nitrate test as fish can cope with fairly high levels so often people don't worry about testing for it, shrimp are more sensitive to it but also sensitive to large water changes which normally keep nitrate in check. It is a bit more of a balancing act keeping the water right for shrimp but not that difficult.
I now have quite a jungle of plants in my tank and have reduced feeding so nitrates stay low, when I started my nitrate was going up more than a weekly 25% water change removed. I'm lucky and my tap water is fairly low, some can be too high to start with which makes it harder but plants can help with that. @Martinspuddle has high nitrates out of his tap and adds nitrate but his readings are always low.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Mymel wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:23 am So nitrate being the big enemy…. It’s such a shame as the plants already in the tank are growing very well.

Nitrites are the enemy, toxic to fish and lethal to shrimp. Hopefully once filled with the extra plants you'll see a totally different set of results.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am @Martinspuddle has high nitrates out of his tap and adds nitrate but his readings are always low.
Aquarium tests for No3 5ppm if I'm lucky, on a bad day 0ppm. :dodgy2:

Double click to enlarge
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Mymel
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times

You guys make me feel dizzy with all the nitrate and Nitrite 🤣 just got my seachem delivery and can’t believe it but the bottle was opened and half empty 😤 also looks like it was put back on the shelf a very while ago…. Lucky that Amazon is quite good with their costumer service and ordered a new one now again…..